My Mom's Steamed Bao Buns

Table of Contents

I first wrote up my mom's hua juan recipe almost 9 years ago so I figured it's time to give a little update.  You can use this recipe to make regular steamed mantou, or fill them to make different types of baozi, but my favorite is still hua juan, which is just the regular bao dough with a sesame-scallion glaze twisted into a flower shape.

I recently came across this new way to shape bread called a Winston knot.  There aren't many videos of how to make it online, and the one I used wasn't even that good, but once you get the idea it's pretty easy.  You can make it with two single strips or two double strips like I did here.  I think the most popular one I've seen is with two triple strips; the resulting bun looks like a volleyball!

The first step is to make an X with the strips.


I first wrote up my mom's Slow-Roasted Ginger Scallion Salmon
Last Year: 

I first wrote up my mom's Cranberry Curd Tart
Three Years Ago: 

I first wrote up my mom's Puppy Chow Pie
Four Years Ago: 

I first wrote up my mom's Thai Coconut Sticky Rice with Mango
Five Years Ago: 

I first wrote up my mom's Vanilla Passion Caramels
Eight Years Ago: 

I first wrote up my mom's Wah Guay (Taiwanese Rice Cake with Meat Sauce)
Nine Years Ago: 

I first wrote up my mom's Beef Noodle Soup and Lu Dan
Sumber http://the-cooking-of-joy.blogspot.com

Post a Comment